inspired by a coworker, these are the days of my life...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

the thing about me right now is that i smell. i know it. but there is very little i can do.

luckily cambodians are all polite and noone says anything. in fact, it is khmer new year so the cambodians, in addition to being nice, are all in high spirits - or high on spirits, it is hard to tell. actually, i'm telling slight fibs, new year finished last night. but the banks still haven't reopened so it is kind of like it is still party time.

the only hint i have had that i'm rancid is when i tried to feed an elephant a banana and she wouldn't have a bar of me. bitch. the baboons, however, have been less picky. THAT'S RIGHT I'M COMMUNING WITH NATURE LIKE IT AIN'T A THING.

luckily there are pools everywhere and after a swim there are two or three blissful minutes of being a little bit cool. that plus i'm basically addicted to aircon.

today i went to angkor thom and checked out some temples. i took photos and posed. i am finding that after three solid weeks of selfies that i've kind of grown weary of them and have started to let other people take photos of me. unprecedented. i also saw more elephants and a monkey or two. and used my orange scarf (which i will probably burn when i get home) as a sweat band. we have a guide who i kind of adore who tells us jokes in perfect english and makes sure he points out every interesting photo opportunity for us. but more i adore my driver who hands me bottles of iced water and freezes refreshing towels for us and then opens the door so i can get into the air conditioned van. oh, did i not mention that we're on a private tour? yeah, we have our own driver and own guide. and it all happened by accident. I'M SO MIDDLE CLASS I CAN'T STAND IT.

i have also found my new favourite place for smoothies in an airconditioned white space where you lie on beds! just like that sex and the city episode, only this is siem reap, not new york.

i would tell more but i don't want to exhaust my stories plus my internet runs out in two moments. which is like a metaphor for this holiday which is sadly on its last legs. clean clothes though are an exciting new chapter for me. one that i will be willing to embrace around 2pm on saturday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i didn't know new zealanders said "aint." crazy!

i'm so jealous of all your travels.